He was an engineer, who had overseen the construction of the railroad from Deep Lake to Everglades in 1927.
Served as the City of Fort Myers Supervisor of Public Works from 1929-1947 and simultaneously worked as an engineer for the Florida Road Department from 1933 to 1936.
In addition to developing Naples’ street building program and sewer distribution system, City Manager Lowdermilk planned and designed the city’s landscaping. He established a City Nursery on the southwest corner of Cambier Park and within three years, over 430 trees and shrubs he germinated from seeds were ready for planting.
He donated an ornamental African Tulip tree to each of two hundred homeowners. The trees’ reddish- orange blossoms were breathtaking and attracted humming birds. In 1952, each of Naples’ six churches was given a rare Golden Shower to plant on its parish grounds.
Along the northern side of the City Nursery he planted Funtumia elastica, African rubber trees, and gooseberry plants to break the north wind. Eighty-three trees, including Ficus, were planted along Central Avenue and First Avenue South, 137 African Tulips were planted along Lake View Terrace, 36 Royal Poinciana along 4th Avenue South, and 100 purplish-white flowering Black Calahash on 4th and 5th Streets. Palms were planted along all streets that were 60 feet wide.
Lowdermilk had seven coconut palms planted at the beach end of all the streets from 4th Avenue South to Broad Avenue South, in a semi-circle to designate they were vehicle turn-around points at the dead end streets.
The Tabebuia trees he planted on 13th Avenue South, whose butter cup yellow flowers precede the trees’ green leaves in March, and the orchid trees in front of Gulf View Middle School were his inspiration, along with the seemingly endless rows of Jacarandas, in 1958, on West Lake Drive, whose blossoms burst forth in April, turning the sky from blue to lavender. Lowdermilk lined Gordon Drive with two miles of date palms.
In 1954, City Manager Lowdermilk had additional flowering trees planted along the city’s avenues, and palms planted along the narrower north-south streets. He also opened all the east-west avenues leading to the beach.